– Martin Luther
Is it even worth it? Think about all the efforts and all the steps needed to plant an apple tree:
1. We have to choose a piece of land that gets full sun and has a big enough space to grow because with pruning, the tree may reach a height of 20 ft or so.
2. Next we transplant the seedling to the outdoors. We must be cautious when transplanting it without cutting off any roots.
3. Then, we have to dig the planting hole much wider than the roots to allow them to grow easily.
4. Finally, water the tree in well to eliminate air pockets, then spread a mulch of hardwood chips or hay a few inches thick, in a 3 ft circle around the tree. This will help retain moisture and keep grass from growing and out-competing your young tree’s roots for water and nutrients.
You are right if you said it’s simply not worth the time and tomorrow is going to pieces anyway. Not to mention that according to wiki.answers.com, “… a tree is planted as a seedling and in good growing conditions, it will bear fruit within 6 to 10 years. Of course, this figure varies depending upon soil and climate conditions along with a million other factors.”
Knowing this would make it easier for most to decide that it’s totally a waste of time.
Yet … the process of planting the apple tree in this very moment, the now, the experience, the feeling, the very act of doing it; even if it might not survive tomorrow, it’s still worth doing it.
This is the same in life, sometimes the chance of succeeding in something may be very slim, it’s still worth it to give it a shot – taking a chance and taking the risk. Don’t lose hope. Never, never give up hope. But of course, you are right if you choose not to plant the apple tree. Life is all about choices.
Leo Buscaglia said, “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow or love.“
Latest posts by bk (see all)
- Dr Richard Teo on his pursuit of success and money - May 3, 2017
- You are enough Mom - April 16, 2017
- 15 Things You should give up to be happy - September 16, 2016